Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Keep Breathing

Perhaps it is my age. It seems that in my own family, and in the families of many near and dear friends, parents, siblings or close friends are dying. This is the most natural thing in the world and it will happen to each of us one day soon or possibly later. The more people I know who die, the more I am aware of my own mortality.

Spring is a wonderful reminder to us, every year, that something is born out of every death. In the Winter months, when the trees are bare, the ground is brown and the skies are gray, it seems as though everything is in hibernation, sleeping, holding its breath. In the seasons before, as seeds drop or are blown and scattered, they come to rest in the soil. Waiting. The rains come, the sun shines and the seeds wake up and sprout. New life is awakened. All the earth takes a deep breath and feels alive once again. It is the most natural thing in the world.

Life continues. Babies are born. Healing happens. Grace, acceptance, forgiveness, appreciation, faith. I am where I am supposed to be. I learn from each life that touches mine. God has awakened me. I keep breathing...

Keep Breathing

As long as I have breath, keep breathing
Until life ends, and end it will
Keep breathing
Breathe in death, for clarity
Breathe in pain, for understanding
Breathe in beauty, for humility
Breathe in joy, with appreciation
Breathe in love, to complete your soul
Breathe it all in, until breath no more
Breathe in now, feel it fill your lungs
For as long as I have breath

Keep breathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment