Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Dance

Over this past weekend, I had the wonderful opportunity of going to Houston to see one of my two professional ballet dancing nieces, Elise Judson, dance in the Houston Ballet Company performance entitled "Masters of Movement." It was a wonderful combination of three compositions, The Leaves are Fading, a lovely lyrical piece by choreographer Antony Tudor; The Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude, a fast spinning and energetic selection by choreographer Forsythe; and, Soldier's Mass, a moving and poignant dance, performed by all men, by choreographer Jiri Kylian. Each selection was masterfully and beautifully danced, speaking a message to and "moving" each individual audience participant. These choreographers and dancers were truly "masters of movement!"

Dancing is a wonderful means of expressing mood, emotion, story, metaphor, energy, life. And, just as dancing expresses life, life itself is a dance. Each person responds personally and individually with their own dance. The question is, will you dance? As Lee Ann Womack says in her song, "I hope you dance."

Dance

I am standing in the middle of a large dance floor.
I am alone.
I am waiting.
For what?
For the music to start?
For my dance partner to return?
For my body to start moving?
For someone, or something to tell me to start dancing?

The music is there, I can hear it, always.
My dance partner is in me, in my heart.
My body knows the steps, the movements.
God has breathed the inspiration.

The dance has already started.
So dance!
Others may join in
Or I may dance alone.
But at anytime, and in any place
The dance is.

So dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment