Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Gift

Rex's sister, Linda Payne, died yesterday after surviving several years following a heart transplant. Such losses cause us to pause and to reflect upon the gift of life and the promise of what will come after this life. I know that though the broken shell of the body has fallen away, that the spirit continues to live in us and around us. Today, I share with you The Gift.

The Gift

In the midst of sadness and solitude, God came to me and revealed to me an image…of hope, of joy, of love, of fulfillment…the image of a gift…a gift of His own choosing, given freely, but in His time.

God has prepared this incredible gift. It is all wrapped in a beautiful box, covered with shining silver wrapping that glows and reflects sparks, flashing in His light. The gift is tied together with the softest loops and folds of a bright green satin ribbon…as green as the freshest Irish meadow, like flowing green waves as far as the eye can see.

This gift is such a delight to all my senses that it draws me forward, hands reaching, heart longing, soul aching. Yet God holds this gift just out of reach…like the most dazzling of gifts tempting the eyes under the Christmas tree, I must wait expectantly for the right time – for Christmas morning – it is not yet time to unwrap this gift.

What God does, however, is to draw me yet closer to Him and, through His eyes, gives me a peek inside the box. In fact, as He opens the lid ever so slightly, out flows the spirit of the gift – swirling around me, wrapping its arms about me and filling me with it’s light. I have sensations of goodness, of warmth, of safety and security, of truth, of the most complete love and, for the briefest of moments, I feel whole, my life makes sense, my soul connected. But, this is just a glimpse. I cannot hold onto this breath, this wind that has touched my skin, my face, my heart, my core. Although it brings me life and at once takes my breath away, it is now but a promise, a faith, a trust and, as much as I want to, I cannot hold onto this gift. Not yet.

God says I must wait. He is not teasing me, He is not cruel…quite the contrary. He wants me to know how very much He loves me. I am His beloved. He wants me to love the Giver of the gift more than the gift itself. Yet, He wants me to know the promise of the gift, what is in store for me, and prepare me for that most glorious of moments. On that bright Christmas morning, when the lights bring life to the Christmas tree, the sparks fly and crackle in the fireplace, the aromas of coffee and baking waft from the kitchen, He will finally say, “It is now time to unwrap the gift, taste the sweetness, drink in the goodness. And it will be indescribably delicious. For this is my gift to you, my Beloved, my faithful, my patient child.”

So I will wait. So precious a gift. So worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment