Friday, April 10, 2009

Love, Resurrected

Good Friday. A day of reflection and remembrance. A day of repentance and hope for renewal. A day when we see death, observe love in action and wait for the promise of resurrection. Like the darkness of night, when all the lights have gone out, we believe that the Son will rise and a new day will dawn in each of our hearts.

Love, Resurrected

Oh God, my God, why have I forsaken you?
I’ve rejected you, ignored you, tried to hide from your view,
Hardened heart, selfishness, willfulness, and separation,
Distraction, avoidance, yet I seek reparation.

You loved me, I spurned you, I took a different path
Love persisted and waited, though I deserved your wrath.
Tortured and twisted, you were nailed to a cross,
Sacrifice and pain, life-blood poured, oh the loss.

Lamb of God, loving Shepherd, looked for me, called my name.
Though I wandered, lost and weary, full of sorrow, full of shame.
You still love me? But, I left you, an unrepentant, prideful soul
Yes you love me, never left me, filled the void and made me whole.

Such a love, I can’t explain it, but I thankfully embrace
I turn away from all that kept me from your mercy, from your grace.
I reach out for you, now this longing, as I know you fill my heart
With your truth and your goodness, peace and presence now impart.

The nails pierced flesh and held your body, limp and sagging on a tree
The temple torn and ripped asunder, but your spirit was set free.
No longer mortal, skin and bones, there is no vessel to contain
The abundance of your love and mercy, no human reason can explain.

Love so amazing, so divine, height and breadth and running deep,
I was lost and yet you found me; I needed you, my soul to keep.
Your life you gave, for me, for all; restored, renewed, perfected,
I am reborn, new life is mine, because of your love, resurrected.

1 comment: