Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Our Inner Story


I work in a business where we assist military officers make a successful transition from a military career into a business career. We guide them through self-introspection exercises to help them recognize their strengths, weaknesses, goals set and reached, patterns, and ways of doing things. We help them determine the best direction for their future. For those who choose business, we connect them with the best developmental opportunities available in Corporate America.


In the economic conditions of this past year, I have spoken with many friends who have also been making transitions in their lives. Some losing jobs and seeking new ones, some retiring from their careers and looking at what they want to be involved with in their retirement years, and others just questioning the best direction for their futures, both professionally and personally. Being in "mid-life" myself, I see many of my contemporaries reaching a time in life when they reflect on what they have accomplished so far in life and questioning whether they should take a new path to reach their true life's dream or purpose. This may be a new path as a career, or it could be a new path spiritually or relationally. We each have an "inner story" and if we listen to that Spirit within, we may more clearly see the path we should take.


An (unfinished) Inner Story…

There is an inner music
That seeks to play its song
It taps a beat into the heart
For it’s melody I long.

There is an inner poem
That seeks to tell its story
Love’s inspiration, nature’s beauty
Life and truth and glory.

There is an inner passion
That burns within the soul
I’m called, I’m pulled, I ache, I yearn
For God to make me whole.

There is an inner painting
That seeks to share its vision
It’s color, shading, brushstroke, image
A clarity, arisen.

There is an inner longing
That pulls upon my heart
Is there more I am to be or do?
Am I to play a different part?

There is an inner Spirit
That dances and uplifts
It lightens, guides and shows the way
To love, life and their gifts.

There is an inner peace
That is there without my striving
Rest and listen to the breathing
It is there, where I am thriving.

There is an inner story
Of adventure, risk, yet hope
It is where my true love waits for me..
……

1 comment: