Friday, June 19, 2009

Father's Day Remembrance


Father's Day is Sunday. This is a significant day and a time to honor, celebrate and recognize the important role of our Fathers in our lives. Because Rex is not a Dad, his Dad died many years ago, and my Dad passed away four years ago, it is not a day when Rex and I will do much out of the ordinary. But I do pause, reflect and remember my wonderful Dad, George Magee Cunningham and the strong, positive influence he had on my life. I wrote the following poem shortly before he died. I love you Daddy. I miss you.

A Life Well Lived…beyond goodbye

A life well lived
So full of life, this man, this gift
A story to tell, a life to lift
A twinkle in his eye, a whimsy in his voice
A goodness, a greatness, he lived this life by choice.

A life well loved
So full of love, this man, for his wife
For his daughters, his friends, all touched by his life
Generosity of spirit, of his time, of his heart
A sensitivity, an admiration for achievement and art.

A life well laughed
So full of laughter, this man, full of joy
He delighted in jokes and pranks since a boy
He could tease, he could chuckle, he could tell a great story
He could warm your heart, and give God the glory.

A life well played
So full of play, this man, a zest for living
A fan of sport, endeavor and best-effort giving
Do your best, try your hardest, but enjoy the game
Share the moment, enjoy your teammates, that prize claim.

A life well given
So full of giving, this man, to all around him
To work, to community, for scout’s honor or to swim
Selfless gifts, humble sharing, he lifted others high
Such a blessing to have known him, to have loved him…beyond goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely tribute. I love the picture of your mom and dad. I'm here with niece, Lizzy, she looked at your dad's picture and saw the amazing resemblance between him and her grandfather. Love, Cousin Ginny

    ReplyDelete